Member work

Member work

Thursday 30 April 2020

'New vintage' stitching project

This is the third in our series of projects developed by Gill, our Programme Secretary, aimed at providing stitching ideas and inspiration. Gill explains how this project came about.

My inspiration for the project came from Karen Nicol's book, Embellished, New Vintage (see details at the end for ordering), though of course none of the project details are copied from Karen's book. Members may remember the captivating talk by Karen, a very accomplished and exciting textile artist, back in October 2018.

I was moved by the pages which show interesting, detailed objects that have been beautifully laid out and photographed. I think we have all collected objects over the years, and many of the things we keep may hold a special meaning for us.  I thought I would lay out some of my own objects on my worktable and see how I could use them to inspire a small piece of work.




I decided to standardise my blog samples so that I can put them into fabric books, but you can make yours any size.  So, again, as in previous blog articles, I am starting by drawing a 14cm square on paper. If anyone wants to join me in making samples to go in a book, and you are also doing other online workshops like the Textileartist org challenges, you can perhaps include those in your books as well. I intend to make my pages out of fabric too, but you could alternatively stick them in a ready-made paper book.
To make this challenge different I set myself some other rules just for this project:

I split my square into three separate sections by ruling a line across the full width, 3cm down from the top and another line 4cm up from the bottom, leaving my middle band 7cm wide.
I then set about picking out several objects and used their shapes/characteristics on my piece.  It took a little time and error working this out on paper before I stitched. I did the project once and then repeated in twice more (see my examples below). The objects I used are shown alongside the pieces. 

You will be able to take more time over yours and add more detail, but I wanted to show it could be done quite easily and you will get different results every time. 
Sample one: I started by drawing round my objects using a pencil or Frixion pen. I then stitched them and coloured the top and bottom sections using Sharpie pens.
Sample 1

In my second sample I used three different fabrics to denote the three sections. For this one, I took inspiration from a brooch, which I made bigger than it actually is. The heart box I drew round, repeating the shape across the bottom half, and I finished with vertical lines inspired by the notches on the lace bobbin and the small intricate brass cage

Sample 2

Sample three is still work in progress. This time I laid fabrics down and then heavily stitched them using some decorative stitches on my sewing machine. I then took the enamelled buckle to inspire my appliqued addition. I intend to use the little key as my next appliqued item.
Sample 3
It's useful to think about 
  • representing the objects in a different colour from the actual objects
  • changing the scale of them
  • repeating the same image multiple times
Have fun - once you start making your piece, just run with it and don't worry about whether you are strictly adhering to your initial inspiration. The items are only to help you create a new type of abstract composition.
If it goes well, consider repeating the exercise, or, if you like what you have made, you could scale it up and make it into a picture for your home.  Alternatively, you could use your pieces on a book cover, a small cushion or the front of a make-up bag, etc. 

Please do send photos of your new work inspired by this or any other features on our blog to Janet at leamingtondistrictitrep@embroiderersguild.co.uk




Karen's fantastic book is not available at the time of writing, but if you would like to reserve a copy, go to her website: karennicol.com - where you can contact Karen using the "mail me" option.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting topic for a blog. Now, you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.

    Embroidery Warwick

    ReplyDelete