Member work

Member work

Sunday 6 September 2020

Secret Santa Sorted! - by Liz

Although it isn't a seasonal topic quite yet, this delightful little project came about as a result of last year's Secret Santa swap. Branch Chair, Liz, shares details of what she did with her gift: 

At the Festive Jolly last December, my Secret Santa present was a very small box covered with lovely red fabric. When I opened it, it contained an amazing number of small pieces of fabric with a mainly Indian feel to them, together with some threads and beads. Whilst I have kept the box, I didn’t at the time think to record the contents. However, there were sufficient pieces to create this book cover! 


I arranged the pieces onto the reverse of an elderly cushion cover kit that had a blue transfer print of a basket of flowers on it and tacked them down. Then I began sewing in a variegated thread from the reverse using some of the transfer lines as guides. I think you can make out the edge of the basket running up the spine. The flowers became rather lost so I ran another lighter thread through the stitches. It seemed to need more leaves, so I made a small template in paper and drew round it a few times. I used it on the sleeves of the cover too. 


Then I used the really useful method Jenny Rolfe showed us for making a book cover at a workshop, many moons ago, and so my Secret Santa is now sorted and many thanks to the member who put it in the sack! 

No comments:

Post a Comment