Member work

Member work

Monday 8 March 2021

Members are still busy stitching ...

Some lovely pieces to share and enjoy this week, showing some of the fabulous talent we have in the group ...

The first piece is Mary's "thank you", which she stitched following Zara's recent short workshop:


and this is her interpretation of the Corona virus ... 


Mary is sending both of these pieces
 to be included in a “Quilt of Hope”, which the Churches Together in Leamington are organising. 

Julia's piece came about as a result of our 'Take a Photograph' workshop. Her starting image is of reflections in the glass buildings surrounding the new New Street Station when it was still a building site.  The photo was posterized and cropped on Photoshop, and then Julia used a Geli plate to print onto black fabric with acrylic paints using a commercial stencil. 


She says, "It was a bit of a learning curve as I hadn't used one to monoprint before.  I found I could get a second ghost print, and negative and positive images.  I then played around with the shapes and used blue and yellow dupion silk to represent the colours in the image.  The crane was a sample of macrame using silk thread.  Once I was happy with the layout it was stitched with hand and machine stitch."


Susanna created her design using 'pages' (the Mac version of word). 

"I took a quotation and altered the font size and style until I was happy with how it looked. (I have quite a few of these that I use for stitch meditations) 

"I created the hexagons from a drop down shape tool and used plain colour fills to create a design similar to a hexagon piece of patchwork. I copied a few stray hexies and moved them around until it was pleasing to me.  Then I added a plain border round the work - it measures just less than A4. 

  

      "Once the design was created I printed it onto plain cotton by using a large A4 label. I stuck the fabric to the sticky side of the label and put it through the printer - so that the design was transferred.  I then embroidered and quilted the design using batting.

 

"I inserted a dowel along the top of the piece to keep the quilt flat and stitched some ribbon to hang it from." 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment